Pasadena Occupancy Inspection and Certificate of Compliance

The City of Pasadena has a requirement that homeowners must meet when they sell their homes. It is called the Pasadena Occupancy Inspection Pasadena Occupancy Inspection and Certificate of ComplianceProgram, and it covers all single family residences; including houses, condos, and duplexes.

The program was setup to ensure that housing meets Housing Code requirements. If a property successfully passes the Occupancy Inspection, a Certificate of Occupancy is issued. This certificate should be provided by the seller to escrow and is required before a property title can be transferred.

If a seller’s property that does not pass the inspection, they will be given an opportunity to make corrections and reschedule a follow up inspection.

The inspection will include items such as smoke/carbon monoxide detectors, water heater strapping, and other systems such as plumbing, electrical, and HVAC.

Building additions, garage conversions, and other structural areas are also checked.

How to Schedule an Occupancy Inspection

During or before the sales process, the seller must contact the city of Pasadena Building and Safety Division to request an Occupancy Inspection of their premises.
This inspection cannot be ordered via escrow. The seller or the seller’s representative should visit Pasadena’s Permit Center to schedule and pay for the inspection.
You can save time by downloading the occupancy inspection application from here and filling it out prior to going to the Permit Center.
You can call the Permit Center at 626-744-4633 to get current cost information on the inspection.
Permit Center
175 N. Garfield Ave.
Monday-Thurs 8 AM to 5 PM
Friday 8 AM to 12 PM


Aside from the Occupancy Inspection and Certificate of Occupancy, a seller will also have to pay Pasadena’s Sidewalk Fee. This is a levy in imposed on Pasadena homeowners for repairs/improvements to sidewalk infrastructure.
It is a good idea to pay for this fee at the same time you pay for your Occupancy Inspection. You can contact the Permit Center to find out how much the Sidewalk fee would be for your property.